I cant tell you how many times I have heard the words " You are such a Martha Stewart" (haha) I just love crafting, diy, painting, sewing, and home decorating. It gives me great satisfaction to look around my house and say " I MADE THAT!"

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rag Doll Tutorial

  Ok Ladies, I finally put together a tutorial! I have had so many of you ask me to do one, but between our family pictures and vacation last week I just didn't have time to post. Well here it is the Rag Doll Tutorial.

  Here is my pattern, it is very simple.

From Fall Family Pics

  How I came up with it was, I folded a 12x12 scrap book paper in half making it 6x12. Then I traced out my doll shape. A oval head with fat hands and feet. :)

From Fall Family Pics

  I love doing patterns like this because then I know both sides are exactly the same! After unfolding my doll came out to be 11in.x 7in. Which is a great size for little ones to handle :)

From Fall Family Pics

  Next I folded my skin colored fabric in half and traced my doll pattern.

From Fall Family Pics

  I like to save time by cutting both sides out together. I left about a 1/2 inch seam allowance, I did a zig zag stitch right over my traced line. I left a 2 1/2 in. to 3 in gap at the top of the head to turn it inside out, like a pillow.

From Fall Family Pics
  Once it is inside out you can start stuffing! I like to stuff the feet and arms first then continue from there.

From Fall Family Pics

  Once you are happy with how full and plush the doll is you just sew the top shut.

From Fall Family Pics

  Trim the excess and your little guy or girl is ready for hair!!!

From Fall Family Pics

  Here is my favorite part, customizing it to look just like your little cutie! I used felt for the hair since it doesn't fray! I also stitched hair strands in a dark color to add a little more interest. Sew the hair like a hat with a seam running down the sides of the head. turn inside out and hot glue it to the top of the head. I also like to put a few stitches it, just so I know it isn't going anywhere.

   To make this hair style I started with cutting out the shape of the hair sewing around the top and side edges.  Next I turned it inside out and cut out the face opening and bangs. I wish I would of took pictures of this process, but I was doing a different hair style for each doll, so I didn't make any patterns.

From Fall Family Pics
  Here is the other sister's doll, I LOVE making the clothing! It is so fun to create these little outfits with matching accessories :)

From Fall Family Pics

   It is all about details and the amount of time you are willing to spend on these dolls. I even added a little A to the backside of Abigail's doll. Just little things like that make them even more special!

From Fall Family Pics

  Here is a whole group of dolls I made for a friend! :D

From Fall Family Pics

   I hope you enjoy using this pattern and remember to HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!



Thanks for stopping by,

    Jeni

43 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Thank you for the tutorial!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! So adorable. You make it look so simple. I think this would make the perfect Christmas
    present for my girls.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dolls are awesome! This is a tutorial I most definitely will try. It sounds easy enough and the results are so cute! I have a two year old daughter who would be just thrilled if I made her one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT! Definitely going to use this tutorial.

    I am also one of your newest followers!

    If you get a chance sometime, you'll have to stop by my blog.

    Melissa
    redflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These dolls are too cute! I'm currently learning how to sew, so maybe I might try to make one of these in the near future. :)

    ~M. Wildflower

    -Visiting from Domestic Divine Link-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing job! Super cute dolls, I'm pinning this to try myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dolls are so cute and you did an amazing job customizing them!
    I'm new to your blog : ) stop by and visit sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so cute!! Makes me want to learn to sew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, the dolls are great!

    Greeting from Holland,

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are AMAZING once again! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a GREAT idea and tutorial! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So stinking adorable!! I've been trying to figure this out for months. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darling little rag dolls! My girls would love them! So glad you linked up with us at Show & Share!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! What fun cuddly dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous!! Thank you so much. Perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super sweet! Thanks for sharing! And for linky to the link parties, how I found you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is supercute! I have to try it one time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for the tutorial! i love rag dolls...looks so dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really cute...thanks for the doll tutorial...gonna make some for my daughter and nieces. Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-rock-8.html. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @ RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't wait to make a sweet little doll! Thanks for sharing and great tutorial!
    Happy weekend!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are so cute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You make it seem so easy to make patterns. Thank you so much for sharing this doll with us. PJ Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are very cute dolls. What do they look like from the back? How is the hair attached? I think I may have missed something in the explanation.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heather,
    So sorry I didn't get very good picutres of the hair being add on. I used hot glue to keep it in place, then I just placed a few stitches around the head to make sure it wasn't going anywhere. I made my hair like a hat, so the back of the head is completely covered. I didn't even think of taking pictures from the back! I will have to remember that when I make my next one. :) Hope this helps.

    Jeni@ Becoming Martha

    ReplyDelete
  25. @heather
    Glad you asked! I was wondering about the hair also!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh I tired cutting out the pattern and it turned instead it looked like a frog. Is there anyway you could provide a pattern on line for those who are really awful at drawing ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes a pattern would be awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this! I'm new to sewing and fabrics, what type of material did you use for the doll's body?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ladies,
    I am so sorry but I have no idea how to turn my pattern into a file you can download and print. If anyone can tell me how I would gladly post one :) Also I used a thick canvas material for the doll's body. That way it is good and study! Hope this helps...

    Jeni Ream
    @Becoming Martha

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the dolls you made

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi hun, just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog today. I think it is sooo cute!! I would love it if you could check it out and maybe grab my button :)

    http://mammymade.blogspot.com/2012/08/mint-stuff-ive-seen-20.html

    - Adele @ Mammy Made

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm having a hard time visualizing the hair process. Any pointers on that step for me? I want to try this out but just can't get past how to do the hair.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. <3 <3 <3 that there are little boy dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am trying to make a doll for my daughter and this is maybe the best way to do it. I need to go do this doll. My daughter will love it. she will play with it. she likes to stay under a table with a blanket over top of it but this will really keep her out. She will love this. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Do you have an actual pattern for this doll? I want to make some and give to a friend to donate to the hospital where she gave birth to her beautiful daughter that died at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is really cute - do you sell the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  37. My son wanted to make a doll for his sister. He is 11 and she is 2. All of the patterns I had were to difficult for him but I think he can do this one. Great instructions. If I decide to bloc his process I will link back to you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just love the cute little dolls. I am hoping to make some for little girls around the world.

    Gail
    heartandsowdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for this. I'm going to do it but will have to modify a little and have the parts removable for therapy identification.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing! I just signed up to start a group to make items for a place that provides clothing, toys, food ... to those less fortunate. This will be quick and easy to make for the little girls. :)

    ReplyDelete